Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Holidays and the New Year

Happy New Year!  I hope everyone had a happy and safe holiday season.

Well, between the holidays and working on my ongoing campaign, I've managed to go another two months without a DragonQuest blog post.  I do have several partial ideas in the works but haven't been able to devote significant time to them.

When I haven't been working on my current DragonQuest campaign I've been working on more MapTool macros for automating our online game sessions.  The DragonQuest rules do not lend themselves to automation easily as there is little actual consistency in the mechanics for skills, combat or magic.  Even so, I've made some pretty good process and will probably have something to share in the not too distant future.

Rodger Thorm over at Antherwyck House Games has a new blog post up on DragonQuest in 2018.  Worth checking out.

Happy gaming in 2018 everyone.

   Phil

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the boost, as always!

    I'd be very interested in your thoughts about new DQ/DQ Lite/etc. options, especially in terms of what would be more accessible and easier to use in an online gaming context.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of the things that has been bubbling up in my mind lately. What would a DQ for today look like? What are the core elements of DQ that make it unique and different? I just need to try and coalesce the thoughts down in writing.

      Delete
  2. I think streamlining all skills to give a similar bonus per rank, and taking out all those "uneven" bumps in the system would be a start. Modern games rely heavily on the idea of one mechanic, and one kind of modifier. D&D5 Advantage mechanic is a good example of that design principle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are the kind of changes I'm thinking about. Keep the idea of the individual Skills but streamline, as you say, the mechanics. I'm used to using a spreadsheet for automatically calculating all the numbers for combat, skill and spell values but that probably isn't a good thing. :)

      Delete